* Net sales and employee numbers are based on consolidated financial statements for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2016.
* U.S. dollar amounts are translated from yen at the rate of JPY 116 = U.S. $1, the approximate exchange rate on the Tokyo Foreign Exchange Market as of December 30, 2016, solely for the convenience of the reader.
Top ten U.S. Patent Holders by Company (2017)
Number of patents
Microsoft Technology Licensing Llc
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Limited
* Canon has been ranked No. 1 in Japan for 13 years running.
* Figures were based on preliminary data released by IFI CLAIMS Patent Services, a U.S. research company specialized in patent information.
* IBM is an abbreviation for International Business Machines Corporation.
Global Ranking (2016)
FORTUNE Global 500*
Fortune July 21, 2016 issue
Global ranking 332nd (334th in '15)
Global ranking 236th (208th in '15)
Evaluation of five performance measures for fiscal 2015, including net sales, net income, and total assets
* FORTUNE Global 500 is a registered trademark of Time Inc. in the United States.
Business Segments Sales ratio per segment (%) (2016)
Industry and Others
* Sales ratios do not total 100% due to sales between segments of 2.5%.