The use of a BR optical element dramatically reduces chromatic aberration. This lens' advanced optical system (featuring two aspherical lens elements: a glass-molded aspherical lens and one UD optical element) delivers image quality in all picture ranges that has been improved beyond that of the previous model. Ghosting and flare reduction through SWC technology; higher autofocusing speed; use of circular diaphragm aperture; and a dust- and moisture-proof structure for excellent environmental resistance and higher durability are the crystallization of Canon lens technology.
BR, one of the latest optical elements, features extraordinary light-dispersion characteristics that significantly refract blue light (the color of short wavelength). The BR optical element, sandwiched between two glass lens elements to create a BR lens, is far more effective at compensating for chromatic aberration than conventional large-aperture lenses have been.
- Normal glass A combination of convex and concave lenses is insufficient to correct the blue light wavelength, and the stray light waves cause color fringing.
- BR lens If BR Optics, which greatly refracts blue (of short wavelength spectrum) light, is adopted along with the convex and concave lenses, all visible light spectrums are concentrated onto one point.
- Shortened minimum focusing distance
- With its minimum 0.28mm (0.011 in.) shooting distance from subject and maximum 0.21x magnification*, the lens makes it possible for users to gain new perspectives on photography and widen their expressive range.
* 0.3m (11.81 in.) and 0.18x, respectively, for EF35mm F1.4L USM lens.
- Improved environmental resistance
- Mount, switch, and focusing ring areas benefit from the lens' dust- and moisture-proof structure.* Also, fluorine coating is applied on the lens surfaces of the front and rear elements to repel grease and water droplets, making it easy to clean off dirt that adheres to the lens surface.
* Not designed to completely prevent penetration by foreign substances.
- Enhanced rigidity and durability
- For tough use, this lens is highly shock resistant, thanks to careful re-examination and design of a mechanical structure that accounts for an optical system of 11 groups and 14 lens elements. The result: excellent overall durability and a lens barrel with outstanding shock and vibration resistance.
- Improved autofocusing speed
- This lens features an efficient rear focusing system. With a high-performance CPU for ring USM control and optimal integration with the camera's AF algorithm, it autofocuses with remarkably high speed and precision.
|EF35mm f/1.4L USM||EF35mm f/1.4L II USM|
|No. of diaphragm blades||8||9|
|Closest focusing distance||0.3m||0.28m|
|Max. diameter x length||Φ79 x 86mm||Φ80.4 x 105.5mm|