With the world facing a multitude of issues arising from climate change, Canon is contributing to a low-carbon society by working to reduce CO2 emissions and improve energy efficiency throughout the product lifecycle.
Canon’s Initiatives and Their Relation to Sustainable Development Goal (SDGs) Targets
* Target 7.2: Increase substantially the share of renewable energy in the global energy mix
* Target 7.3: Double the global rate of improvement in energy efficiency
* Target 13.1: Strengthen resilience and adaptive capacity to climate-related hazards and natural disasters
* Target 13.2: Integrate climate change measures into national policies, strategies, and planning
* Target 13.3: Improve education, awareness raising, and human and institutional capacity on climate change mitigation, adaptation, impact reduction, and early warning
Initiatives for Realizing a Low-Carbon Society
Canon tracks CO2 emissions throughout the product lifecycle (materials procurement, activities at operational sites, distribution, and customer use) and works to reduce emissions at each stage.
In the materials procurement and customer use stages, we strive to reduce CO2 emissions through effective product development (including making products smaller and lighter, using recycled materials, and using energy-saving designs). And, in the activities at operational sites and distribution stages, we strive to reduce CO2 emissions in activities at operational sites and in the distribution process.
Initiatives Involving Products
CO2 Reduction in Product Development
Supporting Reductions in Customers’ Environmental Impact (Using Carbon Offset System) (Initiatives in Japan)