* Net sales and employee numbers are based on consolidated financial statements for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2017.
* U.S. dollar amounts are translated from yen at the rate of JPY 113 = U.S. $1, the approximate exchange rate on the Tokyo Foreign Exchange Market as of December 29, 2017, solely for the convenience of the reader.
Top ten U.S. Patent Holders by Company (2017)
Number of patents
Microsoft Technology Licensing Llc
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Limited
* Canon has been ranked No. 1 in Japan for 13 years running.
* Figures were based on preliminary data released by IFI CLAIMS Patent Services, a U.S. research company specialized in patent information.
* IBM is an abbreviation for International Business Machines Corporation.
Global Ranking (2017)
FORTUNE Global 500*
Fortune July 20, 2017 issue
Global ranking 347th (332nd in '16)
Global ranking 281st (236th in '16)
Evaluation of five performance measures for fiscal 2016, including net sales, net income, and total assets
* FORTUNE Global 500 is a registered trademark of Meredith Corporation. in the United States.
Business Segments Sales ratio per segment (%) (2017)
Industry and Others
* Because the consolidated sales of each business unit include the sales relating to intersegment transactions, the total does not amount to 100%.