* Net sales and employee numbers are based on consolidated financial statements for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2019.
* dollar amounts are translated from yen at the rate of JPY 109 = U.S.$1, the approximate exchange rate on the Tokyo Foreign Exchange Market as of December 31, 2019, solely for the convenience of the reader.
Top ten U.S. Patent Holders by Company (2019)
Number of patents
Microsoft Technology Licensing
Ford Global Technologies
* Canon has been ranked No. 1 in Japan for 15 years running.
* Figures were based on preliminary data released by IFI CLAIMS Patent Services, a U.S. research company specialized in patent information.
* IBM is an abbreviation for International Business Machines Corporation.